Caribbean curry with rice and beans
- 1 Medium Saucepan
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 timer
- 1 ladle
- 4 skinless chicken breasts cut into 2cm cubes
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
- 5cm piece of root ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli deseeded
- 1tbsp caribbean curry powder ( we used caribbean curry powder by seasoned pioneers limited)
- 400ml tin of coconut milk
- optional. 1 mango , peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2bsp of fresh coriander finely chopped
- 350g long grain rice
- 130g tin of Kidney beans
- 2 spring onions sliced
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Serves : 4
Assemble all the ingredients and equipment you will need to make the Caribbean Curry .Do you recognise all the ingredients and equipment? If not, ask an adult to explain them to you. Make sure you wash your hands and wear a clean apron.
1. Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan over a medium heat
2. Add the onion , garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the chicken breasts and and cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
4. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute .
5 Add the coconut milk and simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. Optional. Stir in the Mango with the Coriander and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Whilst you are waiting for the curry to cook ! start preparing the rice and beans .
7. On the back of your pack of rice you will find instructions on how to cook it. Ask an adult to read these with you before your start cooking the rice.
8. 5 minutes before the end of cooking place a sieve in the sink and drain the kidney beans.
9. Add the kidney beans to the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes
10. Add the remaining coconut milk to the saucepan with the curry in.
11. Ask an adult to help you drain the rice in a sieve (be careful as it will be very hot !)
12. Pour the rice equally onto 4 individual plates .
13. Garnish the rice with the sliced spring onion.
14. Ask an adult to help you pour the curry onto the rice using a ladle.
Your tasty Caribbean curry is now ready to eat !
Copyright © The Kids' Cookery School 2012